Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Learning My Lesson

So I'm in Lusaka. I was painting my house with my neighbor, and we make the paint out of ash or mud or charcoal. We pounded the charcoal, mixed it with water, boiled it and then I started splattering the kitchen and latrine with paint jackson pollock-style, and i got a big piece of charcoal lodged in my eye. 24 hours later the eye doctor in Lusaka was digging it out with a needle. Having needles near your eyeball is terrifying. But at least I have my vision back and I've gotten to spend some time in Lusaka not actually sick. So I saw a movie, explored public transport, i've been eating wondrous foods like bacon, coke light, feta cheese, pizza. These are things you take for granted in America. In fact yesterday I spent more than 20 minutes in the sauce/dressings aisle of Spar (grocery store). I was just dreaming about the balsamic vinegar, the thai red curry, the multitude of chutneys. I bought some mustard and it was a splurge on my budget.

But life back in the village has been good - we finally got girls club started and i'm coming up with some more ideas for programming at the school. I've been working a lot on my house - we put in cement on the floors, and I've been making artwork for the walls. I've mostly stopped being a creative cook because I'm getting lazy, and also it's too hot to care. But I still like to spice things up every once in awhile.

Lusaka is such a crazy place. There's such a huge disparity of wealth here. People are either really wealthy or really poor. We were leaving a ritzy bar yesterday and we saw 4 mercedes in a row. We proceeded to find an unlicensed taxi to take us to a 2 for 1 pizza joint. People dress in nice clothes too - heels, glitter, sequins. I tried to pack my clothes without holes in them.

I'll post again next week.

No comments: