Sunday, January 11, 2009

Movement

I spent xmas in malawi. it was beautiful. It seemed a lot more developed. It's definately a lot more crowded than here. The fields are much smaller, there arent as many farm animals, and they plant different things. They farm a lot of tobacco and cassava. The people have crazier names- we met Dude, Christmas, Happy Coconut, Special, etc. We spent the first half of that vacation at the northern part of the lake. It was so beautiful with all the hills, rice paddies, banana trees on the edges of cliffs. We went mango fishing from our floaties. The food was wonderful, the avocados were cheap, but we couldn't ever buy fish to eat! We would just look at the waiters and say "really?! But there's a fish market right outside the door!" So after a few days in the north we went to the south. We had awful transport and when we got there we just ended up really missing the north, but then we got used to it and enjoyed ourselves. I think one of the major things we noticed in the north was that the villages and the hostels were more integrated. It was a lot more socially and environmentally conscious, with compost toilets, local people employed for all the domestic tasks. In the South the villages and the hostels seemed really separate and there were a lot more children saying "hello, give me money." So that was a bit annoying. But we got to eat fish - and it was so good! And we kayaked to a deserted beach, watched some monkeys, went skinny dipping, had a xmas day hostel bar crawl. We watched santa come deliver gifts from a boat to wealthy french children at stop number 1. We got squirted with a water gun. Overall, great trip.

So then i came back to my village for new years eve (poor planning on my part), and found more things stolen. My neighbors told me it was a rat - a really strong, determined, genetically mutated rat. Basically I am done. Way too stressed out over it, sick of it, unable to work, gotta get out. So, that's what's going on with me. Gonna take a break while a new house and new village are found for me. It's gonna be awhile. And it's gonna be an adventure.

Books (not many since i've been out of the village): Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen; The Tattoo Artist - Jill Ciment; The Golden Gate - Vikram Seth (it's all in prose!); In Beautiful Disguises - Rajeev Balasubramanyam; Blue Water - A. Manette Ansay; The Reading Group - Elizabeth Noble

1 comment:

Steve (My Dog Ate Art) said...

Good morning to you Kerry and greetings from Plymouth UK

Travelling around the blogosphere always throws up interesting reading – yours is no exception ! I love the fact that you can see what other people do on a day to day basis all around the world. It makes the world smaller and more like a village to my mind.

So - why am I contacting you like this ?

In a somewhat random act of artistic interaction – I came across your blog today. If you have a look at mine – I have placed a link on it for your site – for a month or so - under the heading "My Dog Ate Blogs" – take a look.

Once you have had a look - if you fancy being a permanent part of this blog just say yes and I will put a permanent link for you on my site’s blog-roll - “My Dog Has Eaten These Blogs from the UK and the rest of the world and Says Yum Yum” scroll down and you’ll find it – I have regular visitors from 65 countries (and counting) and 64 regular followers at present – again from all over the world - from Argentina via the USA to Indonesia – so if you like the idea of lots more people from all corners of the globe paying your blog a visit – come and join – especially if you would like more people to read about the work that you are doing

In return all I would like is a link somewhere on your site if possible – I’ll leave that up to you.

Have a look and see what you think.

By the way - if you want to print out any of my images - feel free - some are quite nice ( I hope) – just tell your friends and acquaintances where you found them.

Hope you find my site interesting as well.

Best wishes from my bit of Plymouth UK!

(Steve Clement-Large : My Dog Ate Art )

“PROBABLY THE BEST ART BLOG IN PLYMOUTH”