Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Blog!

soooo, time to start the blog up again. first, i will explain my title, even though writers don't have to do that. I sometimes call hippies, or people who wear hemp and march for guatemalan goat rights and things of that sort "granolas" as in they are crunchy, like their hair. This is not a cruel, hateful judgement, merely a creative description. It's also a description that I don't really fit, despite the sheltered beliefs of some of my east coast friends. Girls, just because I don't wear pearls, does not mean I am granola. And yet, now I find myself with a pair of hemp underwear (with peace signs on them no less!), learning how to use a leatherman tool (whatever, it's purple), and buying dehydrated foods. My how things change! But I do plan on bringing my mascara with me to the Zambian bush. No i won't wear it everyday, but it's like a security blanket of sorts, and i'm not ashamed.

Once I get to Zambia I won't be able to post very often, we're talking monthly if i'm lucky, but since I will likely have lots of free, alone time to write, hopefully they will be good enough to make up for the infrequency. Life is about quality, not quantity. But when I'm not writing, I will be trying to do some health education. I'm gonna put all those public health classes to good use, learn a new language and bike my little legs off. and I'm definately looking forward to it.

*the picture in the title bar is actually in botswana, in the okavango delta. It's an acacia tree at dusk. i took it in april 2006.

1 comment:

Davy said...

I like the blog! I am planning on wearing big beautiful earrings while in the Zambian bush! Just because I am living with less technology doesn't mean I can't be feminine.